356 A Carrera GS/GT Speedster
Flat 4 / 2000 cc
4 Speed Manual
Silver Metallic Exterior & Black Leather Interior
The origins of this very rare Carrera engined Speedster date back to 1954 when the Porsche competition department placed a 4-camshaft Carrera engine into a 356 coupe which had its roof lowered and had a one-piece windscreen fitted. Driven by Helmut Polensky and partnered by navigator Herbet Linge, the duo defeated Oliver Gendebien in a Lancia to win, for the second year running, the grueling 3,197-mile Lige-Rome-Lige Rally, generally acknowledged to be the toughest rally in Europe of the period. Porsche then decided to produce one hundred of the Type 547 Carrera engines to be placed in the 356A, the then-current road-going coupe, which would make the car eligible to take part in the up-to-1500cc GT class in World Championship races. This new 356, designated the 1500GS, was shown to the public in September, 1955 and named the 'Carrera' after the Mexican road race, the Carrera Pan America, in which Porsche had done so well. The Carrera was steadily developed, primarily by lightening the car so that, by 1957, the serious racing customer could buy either a Coupe or a Speedster with no heater, Plexiglass windows, Weber carburetors (instead of the previously used Solex's) and an 80-liter fuel tank to extend its range. No undercoating or soundproofing plus, the use of an aluminum Nardi steering wheel, further decreased weight. This car came to The Wilson Collection in 2009 as a barn find 356A Coupe and underwent an extensive restoration specifically focused on the engine, livery, and body to bring the car up to a tribute car with Carrera GS/GT standards.
Vintage car restoration company based in San Pedro de Macoris, Dominican Republic.
Porsche restoration and engine specialists from Lake Park, FL.
901 Shop has been specializing in full Porsche maintenance, engine building, fabrication, and track support for over 25 years from Stuart, FL.